Friday, April 4, 2008

College is teaching me what not to do...

I am an education major and have already learned countless ways to teach young'uns in ways that make them want to learn, that make them learn effectively, and that make them remember my every word. I have sat in very informative classes in which inspiring ideas have found my brain and captured my attention. But the biggest thing I am learning in college is what not to do. Not a week goes by when I feel like I must look like a cartoon character with smoke coming out of my ears. My professors piss me off on an extremely regular basis. If you asked me how I am liking school I would readily say I love it, becuase I do, but that doesn't quite counterbalance the bad moods those doctors continually put me in.
I just got out of a meeting with a professor who handed me back all of my work from the entire semester, and who gave me a C on my midterm because my answers weren't long enough. There was no required length attatched to the answers beforehand so I was a bit baffled because my professor said "I can tell you understood the ideas, you just didn't talk about them enough." WHAT! "Well you have your peers to thank for that, alot of them gave at least a paragraph for each question." I wasn't aware that we were graded based on how well our peers did. If she had read my midterm first and saw that I understood the ideas, and answered the questions sufficiently yet shortly, would she have graded the rest of the midterms badly because they took a paragraph to say what I could say in three sentences?

No comments: