Monday, March 31, 2008

The Best Rainy Day Ever

I am supposed to be writing a paper on the use of the word wit in John Dryden's and Alexander Pope's poems, I know that sounds exciting but what I would rather do is write about my day. With the end of the semester approaching quickly I have been less motivated to attend class and more motivated to sleep. I fought that urge this morning and dutifully drove the fiveish blocks to school (call me lazy, I don't care). I received an interesting email this morning informing me that the Chris Matthews College tour would be making a stop in West Chester and would be bringing Barack Obama with it! The tickets were to go on "sale" at noon. I my head I thought, getting there at eleven would be smart, but my body said "no....sleep". So at eleven I slept for a little while and convinced myself that I would go at noon and if I got a ticket it was meant to be. I arrived at noon and in all the excitement I forgot to put some quarters in the meter (a sure way to pay 20 dollars to park for 45 minutes). Oh well I thought, its Obama. Evelyn and I got in line which started almost right behind us because it wrapped the entire way around a building which began to suprise me with its magnitude. What I thought would be a half-hour thing turned into a 2 and a half hour ordeal. I missed an entire class and stood in the freezing rain for longer than I thought I had the endurance for. Apparently I like Barack Obama. We met a wonderful person name Laura who half way through went on a coffee run for us, and who towards the end we realized graduated from Twin Valley and has some of our best friends in common. The entire situation was coupled with the fact that there was only a limited number of tickets, which gave us close to no hope for getting one. We watched people give up, but we stood fast and strong. And glory be we got tickets! Standing room only mind you, we won't make the mistake of being late this time! But I will be able to see Barack Obama in the flesh...

No comments: